Sunday, February 13, 2011

Alcatraz Prison Hospital ER and Karaoke

So while the weather didn't really improve at all for the remainder of this weekend (lame...) everyone tried to make the most of our time off. That's what led myself and several of my friends to a theme restaurant called Alcatraz Prison Hospital ER. It's a little off the beaten path in Shibuya, but definitely worth checking out - they really get into the whole "creepy prison" theme big time there.











































































The restaurant was pretty big, and you need to take an elevator up to get to it. As soon as the elevator doors open, you're greeted by the two creepiest doctors you've ever seen. They don't say a word to you, and their faces are completely blank - even when you take pictures of them!

















Once you've confirmed your reservation, you're handcuffed and led to your "cell." But because our group was so big, only two people could be handcuffed - fortunately, I didn't need to be volunteered for the task!


















My friends Niko and Cynthia were brave enough to volunteer - that's our waitress in the nurse costume on the far left.
























My only complaint about our table was that we had to sit Japanese-style - meaning, there were no chairs, just mats on the floor - it was a little uncomfortable at first, but not that bad. We also accidentally asked for "a la carte" so we each ended up paying more than we intended to, but the damage wasn't terrible, considering the lengths everyone at the restaurant go to in order to play up the theme of being in a prison. 

We weren't the only gaijins there, either - there were some (quite drunk) Australians a couple of tables down who got pretty loud and silly, but they were definitely entertaining!





















The food, while presented in a rather unappetizing manner, tasted pretty good once you got over the fact that it looked gross...
































All in all, I had a good time - I might not want to spend the money to go back, but it definitely was an experience worth having!






















I even got to pose with our nurse/waitress!

One of my friends heard of an Alice in Wonderland theme restaurant - that might be more my speed, and certainly a lot prettier! Hopefully it won't be too expensive, because I really would be interested in going!


The next night I went out to karaoke with my friends Derek, Dan, Walter, and Aaron. It was kind of a small place in Shibuya, but it wasn't as expensive as other places, so we checked it out. After paying an entrance fee we got a booth, and we sang/ordered drinks for the next hour and a half. I'm definitely not the next Gloria Gaynor, but my rendition of "I Will Survive" was a hit with all my friends!

Here's a video of us singing (terribly)

I will survive (karaoke)

My friend Walter mentioned making going out to karaoke a once-a-week kind of thing, and I would absolutely be down for that! It's so fun, and a lot less tiring than clubbing until 5 AM - and it's cheaper too! I'm issuing a warning to anyone who comes to visit me here in Tokyo - we're going to karaoke, and there's nothing you can do about it!

Heck, I might even buy a karaoke machine to bring back with me so I can sing with everyone back home! Beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment